IKS Semantics UX Contest
Time: 16.15-17.15 Tuesday, 8. Nov 2011
Many interesting developments are taking place in the area of semantic technologies. But what do those technologies actually enable us to do? It is an area that still cause a lot of confusion and triggers many questions. In order to highlight some of the fascinating opportunities within this field, J. Boye have linked up with EU research project IKS (Interactive Knowledge Stack). IKS are running a competition where developers have been invited to submit their ideas for semantically enriched user experiences. The finalists will be showcased at the conference.
18 proposals were received from around Europe. Out of those 18, the following 5 were selected to pitch live on stage in Aarhus:
- InsideOut10 (Italy) will demonstrate how they’ve turned the popular blog tool and publishing platform WordPress into a semantic solution with real improvements in terms of content findability and SEO
- Knowledge Media Institute (UK) will show how to use semantic technologies to support users in managing their interactions with content on the Web
- Liip (Switzerland) will show bleeding edge CMS functionality, including a semantically advanced digital asset management tool, automatic content tagging and automatic suggestions of related content
- SalsaDev (Switzerland) has build a semantic content highlighter plugin, which aims to replace the well-known keyword-based search input forms available on nearly every website
- Zaizi (UK) has a solution which provides a semantic search tool built within Alfresco that can be used to carry out effective collaborative research
Each contestant will have 7 minutes to pitch their project and show their semantic solution in action. After each presentation, 3 expert jurors will offer brief commentary and at the end, the audience gets to vote for the winner.
The expert jury consists of:
- Janus Boye, vendor-neutral CMS expert who founded J. Boye in 2003
- Sandro Groganz who is an open source marketing consultant at Age of Peers
- Wernher Behrendt is a senior researcher at Salzburg Research and also IKS Consortium Project Lead
Don’t miss the subsequent conference dinner at 18.00, where we’ll announce the 2 winners who will receive €40k each to realise their winning proposal!
Learn more about this contest
- Longer summary of the top 5 proposals and the complete list of proposals
- Read our conference news: See semantically enriched user experiences in action
- Visit the offical IKS site about the Semantics UX Contest